Walker: Independence is an American television drama Western series and prequel spin-off of The CW's series, Walker. It was given a Pilot order on February 3, 2022 and ordered to series on May 12, 2022. The series will premiere on October 6, 2022.
Set in the late 1800s and follows Abby Walker, an affluent Bostonian whose husband is murdered before her eyes while on their journey out West. On her quest for revenge, Abby crosses paths with Hoyt Rawlins, a lovable rogue in search of purpose. Abby and Hoyt’s journey takes them to Independence, Texas, where they encounter diverse, eclectic residents running from their own troubled pasts and chasing their dreams. Our newfound family will struggle with the changing world around them, while becoming agents of change themselves in a town where nothing is what it seems.
- Katherine McNamara as Abby Walker
- Matt Barr as Hoyt Rawlins
- Justin Johnson as Calian
- Greg Hovanessian as Sheriff Tom Davidson
- Lawrence Kao as Kai
- Philemon Chambers as Augustus "Gus"
- Katie Findlay as Kate
- Gabriela Quezada as Lucia Montero
On December 8, 2021, The CW announced that a prequel for Walker was in the works. It would be executive produced by Walker star, Jared Padalecki. Padalecki and Fahey executive produce alongside Anna Fricke and Laura Terry via Pursued By a Bear as well as Lin and Liberatore of Rideback. CBS Studios, which is behind Walker, is the studio.
On May 12, 2022, The CW ordered the pilot to series.
On February 25, 2022, Justin Johnson joined the series as as Calian. "A member of an Indigenous scouting party outside Independence, Calian speaks fluent English, and has mixed feelings about the influx of the white settlers out West. Calian is curious to their innovations, their music, their culture but remains wary about losing his tribal lands. After spotting Abby half-dead in the brush, Calian saves her and takes her to the outskirts of Independence — he knows better than to walk into town, escorting a white woman."
On February 28, 2022, Matt Barr was announced as starring in the spin-off as intergenerational version of Hoyt Rawlins. "Rawlins is a gambler and an outlaw who lays low in the town of Independence. Cocky, confident, brash and a bit foolhardy, he’s been having an on-again, off-again affair with rancher’s daughter Lucia Montero — but after meeting Abby, Hoyt’s wandering eye appears to have frozen in place. Well aware that Abby is a straight arrow, Hoyt realizes he might have a lot to learn from her, seeing someone who might help him step away from the life of an outlaw, taking a side for change to fight for truth, justice and the Texan way."
On March 10, 2022, Greg Hovanessian joined the series as Tom Davidson. "the new Sheriff in Independence. Tom’s handsome for someone you don’t know is the devil. And Abby has reason to believe that Tom is a very bad man indeed. Quick to take over Abby’s late husband Liam’s job, Tom is now a smiling power in the town."
On March 11, 2022, Lawrence Kao joined the series as Kai. "A younger Chinese man with a kind face, fluent in English, Kai runs a local laundry, in partner with the older, more taciturn Bowen Sing. A former railroad worker, Kai has settled into his new life in Independence, where he meets Abby. He quickly befriends her, offering Abby her first meal and a friendly word of advice about staying in Independence."
On March 14, 2022, Philemon Chambers joined the series as Augustus. "‘Gus’, a striking Black man with eyes filled with a world of experience, Gus is the deputy sheriff in Independence. Polite, careful, even-tempered, and genuinely willing to help, he’s not giving out his opinion of his new boss, Tom Davidson, to anyone."
On March 16, 2022, Katherine McNamara was announced to star as the titular character Abby Walker. "Originally from Boston’s high society, Abby is a tough-minded woman, moving across the country with her husband to a new life in Independence. After her husband is killed by a horse thief in the night, Abby wanders grief-stricken through the brush and finally into the town of Independence. She takes on the name of “Walker” and sets about building her strength (personal and financial), because she’s going to be the first Walker to go to war against overwhelming odds. The first but not the last…".
On March 18, 2022, Katie Findlay was announced to star as a series regular opposite of Katherine McNamara and Matt Barr. "Findlay will play Kate, a burlesque dancer, who is in fact a federal agent, in town to investigate the secret workings of Independence, and she’s got her sharply observant eye on the new sheriff in town."
On March 30, 2022, Gabriela Quezada was announced as a recurring guest star. "Lucia Montero. The daughter of ranchers Francis and Anna Maria Montero, and the older sister of Luis Montero, Lucia has a problem: she’s in love with Rawlins, and no matter what he does, with her or against anyone else, Lucia is overwhelmed by romantic chemistry whenever he is in the room."
- ‘Walker: Independence’, ‘The Winchesters’ & ‘Gotham Knights’ Land Pilot Orders At The CW
- ‘Gotham Knights’, ‘Walker: Independence’ & ‘The Winchesters’ Picked Up To Series By the CW
- ‘Walker’ Prequel ‘Independence’ Executive Produced By Jared Padalecki In Works At The CW
- Walker: Independence’: Larry Teng To Direct CW Pilot
- ‘Walker: Independence’: Justin Johnson Cortez Joins CW Pilot
- Matt Barr To Star In ‘Walker: Independence’ CW Pilot As Hoyt Rawlins
- Greg Hovanessian Joins The CW’s ‘Walker: Independence’ Pilot As Series Regular
- ‘Walker: Independence’: Lawrence Kao Joins CW Prequel Pilot
- ‘Walker: Independence’: Philemon Chambers Joins CW Pilot As Series Regular
- Katherine McNamara To Star In ‘Walker: Independence’ CW Pilot As Abby Walker
- ‘Walker: Independence’: Katie Findlay To Co-Star In CW Prequel Pilot
- ‘Walker: Independence’ Pilot at CW Casts Gabriela Quezada
- Larry Teng confirms the filming date on his Twitter account.
- Larry Teng confirms the filming end date on his Twitter account.
- Larry Teng commemorates the start of filming via Twitter.